Sunday, November 9, 2008

The colorful little bird return pt2





These are Olive Backed Sunbirds.The top is male and bottom is female.

These colorful little birds are actually the Olive-backed Sunbird.The sunbirds are a group of very small birds which feed largely on nectar, although they will also take insects, especially when feeding young. Their flight is fast and direct on their short wings. Most species can take nectar by hovering, but usually perch to feed most of the time.

The Olive-backed Sunbird is common across southern China to the Philippines and Malaysia down to northeast Australia. They are small songbirds, at most 12cm long. The underparts of both male and female are bright yellow, the backs are a dull brown color. The forehead, throat and upper breast of the adult male is a dark, metallic blue-black.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you showed up at my blog and became a follower of mine. I clicked your image there and came here and here I got to see your birds and photography. Your bird photos are extraordinary. I like them very much and while I have a blog about birds

(http://mybirdsblog.blogspot.com/)

none of mine are so nice as your birds. Thanks for coming by. I do apprecaite it. I will begin to follow you and your work here because I think I can learn something more than I already know.

I am 74 years old and started taking pictures in Japan in 1953 and just never quit taking pictures. LOL

Anonymous said...

Abraham Lincoln
Thanks for your comment. You are a humble man and I visit all your sites and they are great...I really like your photography and the bird photos are amazing. It is not easy to take bird photography and you must have good photo equipments.